Donate your company’s used computer devices
Lights On Children is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the field of social child care in Japan. We are offering support for the children who cannot live with their parents and instead living in children’s homes or households of foster parents.
We are asking companies and organizations to support our cause by donation. You can do so by donating your company’s used computer devices.
How does it work ?
Lights On Children will pick up and inspect your devices and conduct a data overwrite procedure. The devices will be reused. Reuse vendor will purchase the used devices and Lights On Children will earn money for our cause.
IBM Japan will be in charge of the process of collection, inspection, data overwrite and reuse. IBM Japan has logistic bases across Japan and is capable of handling hundreds of devices.
* We cannot collect devices from individual households.
Computers (desktops and laptops), tablets, smartphones (here after referred to as “computer devices”) is acceptable – regardless of brand/manufacturer.
For other devices and equipment, please contact us.
Under these conditions:
30 or more computer devices in one location.
The performance (power) and condition of the computer devices are above a certain degree.
Please note that in some cases we have to decline your offer of donation, due to the level of performance and condition of your devices.
Pick Up for Free
The donation process is free of charge, including the collection (transportation) and reuse of your devices. IBM Japan will issue a report of the data overwrite procedure for free.
(If you have a request on the details of the data overwrite procedure, we might ask for a fee for that.)
Trusted Security Standards
IBM Japan will transport your computer devices to their refurbish center in Hino, Tokyo, for the data overwrite procedure and reuse.
The refurbish center is managed under strict protocols, including the IBM security standards, ISO14011, ISO/IEC27001. Contact us to request a factory tour.
* Photo by IBM Japan
Acclaimed Software for Data Overwriting
To overwrite your data, IBM Japan is using a software that is certified by third-party entities and used worldwide. Lights On Children will report the completion of the data overwrite and reuse process, along with a copy of a report of data overwrite procedure issued by IBM Japan.
Donation in 4 steps
- Please prepare a list of your computer devices including the brand/manufacturer, model name/number, and the quantity of each device. The list doesn't have to be exact at this point.
- Based on the list, we will determine whether we can accept your donation. Please note that in some cases we have to decline your offer.
- When scheduling the pick up and transportation of the devices, we will need an exact list of devices, including the serial numbers. Lights On Children can share a template of the list.
- Lights On Children and your company will sign an agreement about the donation. The agreement includes how the donation will be processed in terms of accounting.
- IBM Japan will arrange a truck to pick up your devices and transport them to IBM Japan's refurbish center in Hino, Tokyo. IBM Japan will inspect them, overwrite the data before resuse.
- IBM Japan will issue a report of the data overwrite procedure and Lights On Children will send you a copy of it.
- See IBM Japan's webpage (in Japanese) for the details of it's services.
- In terms of accounting, the amount of money IBM Japan paid to Lights On Children (when purchasing the devices) will be processed as a direct donation from your company. Lights On Children will issue a donation receipt in which your company being the donor.
* Tax related notice: Lights On Children does not have a Nintei NPO (認定NPO) certificate. Under the Japanese tax system, donations to Lights On Children can be applied to the deduction for donations, but not to the special credit for donation to certified NPOs (特別損金算入). For more on this, see the webpage by the National Tax Agency (only in Japanese).
In terms of sustainability
Donating used computer devices to Lights On Children will be a contribution to the environment as well as welfare/education.
This donation program is now in the spotlight in terms of SDGs and ESG investment
Lights On Children will use the fund raised through this donation program to support the children and youth in the field of social child care and to raise awareness of the social child care system. For instance, our PC Donation & Online Lecture Class provides youths with an opportunity to own a laptop and learn how to use it.
We are dedicated to promote equal opportunity for children and youth regardless of their family conditions. For more on the Japanese social child care system, see here.
This program reduces burden on the environment by reusing computer devices instead of destroying them.
Previous and Current Donors
(in random order)
- an nonprofit organization (NPO) certified by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government .
- supporting the children and youth in the field of social child care.
- also raising awareness of the social child care system.
- financially dependent on donations and grants from the private sector.
|Lights On Children|
|May 2014 (Corporate status & Ninsho(認証) certificate acquired)|
|Yumiko Tategami, Board Chair|
|For the children in need of social support.Together with businesses and individuals.|
|Maia Shibuya Sakuragaoka #201, 30-12 Sakuragaoka-cho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan. 150-0031|
Lights On Children (特定非営利活動法人ライツオン・チルドレン)