Information For Social Care
Facilities And Foster Parents
Lights On Children is dedicated to expanding the possibilities of children in Japanese social care with a close look into the situation each child is in.
Since the founding of the organization in 2014, we have been providing support to the children and people who left social care facilities, owing to the cooperation with more than 20 children’s homes (児童養護施設) and independence support homes (自立援助ホーム) around Tokyo.
We are looking for participants for the projects listed below.
Please encourage the children in your facility (or households of foster parents) and the people formerly under social care to join our programs.
Children living under social care in households of foster parents are also eligible and will be treated equally with children from children’s homes.
- Eligibility: Children living under / formerly under social care are eligible. Children in junior high school or younger cannot participate.
- Fee: The PC lecture class is for free (lunch served). You still need to pay your transportation fares.
- The PC lecture class takes place for two days. Participants will learn about the basic skills of Word, Excel and Power Point, and the basic knowledge about the Internet.
- Lights On Children staff will serve as the main lecturer, and employees from the cooperating company will participate as volunteers. For the children participating, the interaction with grown-ups adds to the educational value of this lecture class.
- Children who have completed the 2-day lecture class will be presented the laptop and a set of accessories they used (a USB mouse, a USB memory stick, textbooks, a laptop bag).
- Participating in the 2-day lecture is necessary to win the free laptop. You cannot get the laptop without participation.
- A “Refreshed PC” is a high-quality used/recycled personal computer with official Microsoft OS installed. In addition, Lights On Children is installing a Microsoft Office purchased through Microsoft’s Registered Refurbisher Program.
Job Rehearsal (ジョブリハ) provides high school students living under social care
with a year-long program consisting of lectures, skills training and on-the-job-training in actual working settings.
This program is intended to lower the barriers these children face when they leave social care
by letting them rehearse in an actual working environment beforehand.
- Eligibility: High school students living in children’s homes and households of foster parents.
- Children’s homes choose the child to participate based on the prospective of attending all the sessions throughout the year. A briefing session for children’s home staffs are held beforehand.
- Lights On Children is making sure every child and children’s home participating understands that Job Rehearsal is not intended to get the children employed by our partner companies.
- Participation can be extended to the second or third year.
- We are happily letting children’s home staffs use LOCer’s ROOM for free so that the staffs and the children can sit down and talk in a comfortable place. Please make a reservation beforehand.
- Eligibility: Staffs of children’s homes and children who have left the children’s home. (Attendance of a staff is necessary. Group of children in children’s homes or children who have left is cannot apply.)
- A reservation is required. When making a reservation for the first time, please send us an Email to locers.roomlightson-children.com.
- Fee: None (For free. You still need to pay for some pieces of equipment)
- Children and volunteers gather at LOCer’s ROOM and try simple, easy and cheap cooking recipes. We will of course enjoy the dishes together after cooking.
- Eligibility: High school students in children’s homes and people who have previously lived in children’s homes.
- Requirements: The only thing you need to bring is your apron. No degree of experience in cooking is required.
- Lights On Children will provide the transportation fare for people that have already left children’s homes.
For applications or inquiries, contact Lights On Children.